Suggested Reading List
The article, Did the Cow Do It? A New Look at the Cause of the Great Chicago Fire, by Richard F. Bales, sets forth these theories and conclusions in greater detail. The article was published in the Spring, 1997 issue of the Illinois Historical Journal. To order a copy, write to the Illinois State Historical Society, 1 Old State Capitol Plaza, Springfield, Illinois USA 62701- 1507. The cost is $6.31 for Illinois residents or $6.00 for those who live outside of Illinois.
Also, see the following books on the fire:
- The Great Chicago Fire, by Robert Cromie (Rutledge Hill Press, 1994)
- Smoldering City: Chicagoans and the Great Fire, 1871-1874, by Karen Sawislak (The University of Chicago Press, 1995)
- Urban Disorder and the Shape of Belief, by Carl Smith (The University of Chicago Press, 1995)
- The Great Fire, by Jim Murphy (Scholastic, Inc., 1995)
- Children of the Fire, by Harriette Gillem Robinet (Atheneum, 1991)